How to Declutter Your Home with Self Storage
If you are like most people, most of the stuff you own does not fit in your home and trying to create extra space for it only clutters your rooms. Whether you own too many clothes, books, business inventory, or furniture and equipment that's rarely used, self storage is the solution to de-cluttering your home. In this case, you rent space at a storage facility to stash your items. Read on to find out how you can use a self storage unit to de-clutter your home.
Benefits of self storage
Self storage offers numerous benefits that other storage facilities won't offer. They include the following:
- You are granted unlimited access to your storage unit at any time of the day or night. You cannot be inconvenienced by being denied access to your unit.
- You have full control over your unit in terms of the items you store and how you store them.
- Self storage units are versatile and flexible. You can bring in or take away any items you want at any time.
- There is a sense of privacy as you are the only one with a key to your unit. Workers at the facility do not access your unit or check the items you have stored.
How to use self storage units
The first step is determining the amount of things you want to put away. Doing so will help you in choosing the right unit size. Always go for a unit that's slightly bigger than what you think you'll actually need.
Once you get your unit, think about how you will store your items. Here are some tips for maximum utilization of the space.
- Utilize plastic containers and boxes. Plastic containers are ideal for storing clothes, toys, and other items that can fit in them. When using colored containers or boxes, you can label them for easy access and retrieval. Containers and boxes can be stacked on a shelving unit or against the wall.
- Place furniture and other heavy and large equipment at the back of the unit to avoid obstructions when moving around the unit. Also, don't stack items on sofa sets to avoid damaging the cushions or fabric.
- Use covers for mattresses and furniture to protect them from dust and surface damage.
- Store smaller items and boxes inside larger items to maximize space. For example, if you are storing a refrigerator, you can stack small boxes inside it. If you are storing a dresser, you can stack items on top of it and inside the drawers.
Self storage units are ideal for storing away items in your home that you rarely use. As you move items to the facility, ensure they are stored properly to prevent damage during transportation.